Docker image upload too slow

Hi,

I am trying to upload a docker image (5.5GB image) on my dedicated Tira registry, but pushing procedure is running for almost 12 hours. I have check my internet connection and upload speed in MB/s are not so bad. My Image consists of some small layers (more or less 100-200 MB) and 2 layers of 1 GB and 2.1 GB respectively. Small layers pushed in about 5-10 mins. I am wondering if it is something regarding the zipping among the layers inside the image or in my bandwith. Could you please advise or provide me any feedback?

Thanks
Panos

Additional Info…

I also saw in docker daemon logs the below
level=error msg="Upload failed: unauthorized: authentication required.

Maybe there is a limitation on pushing time. Due to the fact that this time is passed the remote registry unauthorized me.
Also, I am using a model from huggingface. I suppose that my submited image will not have access to internt. How can I import the pre-trained model from hugginface? I should add a CMD in dockerfile in orer to save it a directory inside image? In this way the image size will increased.

What can I do?

Thanks
Panos

Dear Panos,

Do you still have the problems with the upload? I can not reproduce this, for me, it is rather fast.
Do you access the registry via some proxy?

You are right, you have to embed the model into the image.
Here is an example on how to embed an huggingface model into a Docker image: pan-code/Dockerfile at master · pan-webis-de/pan-code · GitHub

This basically clones the model weights into an directory /model.
In which task do you participate? (just that the task organizers can provide you with better feedback)

Thanks, and best regards,

Maik

Hi Maik,

I am still facing the issue. I have tried also a multi-stage build of image, in order to reduce the size, but the same issue. I am participating in Authorship Verification task. It seems that one of the layers is big and the registry unauthorized me after 2h.
I am using a virtual machine with VM ware in order to build the image in Ubuntu linux. I do not use proxy.

Thanks
Panos

Dear Panos,

Thank you for your response.
You said that the image is 5GB, this should be no problem usually.
Can you upload the image to dockerhub and send me the name of the image in a private message, so that we can import it from there?

Best regards,
Maik

Hi Maik,

After download of huggingface model inside the image, the size will be almsot 6GB. I will try to upload it to Dockerhub and let you know. If I can not send also to Dockerhub that means that I have connection issues. Correct? If that is the case, then Can i send you the image in tar or gz in order to load it from this archive into my dedicated registry? Is it something easy for you?

Thanks
Panos

Hi Panos,

I think uploading to Dockerhub should be no problem, and should be much simpler then sharing a tar file.
In case this does not work, do you have access to some university network (like eduroam), as they are typically very fast?

Best Regards,

Maik

Hi Maik,

I have sent you the url of image form dockerhub in private message, a couple of days ago. Did you find time to pull it?

Thanks
Panos

Hi Panos,

yes, I did and answered to your private message in the meanwhile.
Sorry for the delay, I had a high workload in the last days, I am really sorry for the delay.

Thanks for participating!

Best regards,

Maik

1 Like

@maik_froebe I seem to be facing a similar problem where the upload takes long and ends up not being authorized. Is it known how long the login stays valid? And would there be a way to refresh the login throughout a long-running upload so it doesn’t end up being ineffective?

Hi,
do you upload via the prepared GitHub Action?
Because we switched to them to resolve the problem above, because the upload speed from there should be rather good.

I do not think that there is a way to refresh the login throughout a long-running upload.
I will contact you in a direct message to resolve the problem.

Best regards,

Maik